Yacht Yard Hand
- Date Posted: 2016-09-18
- Location: Gibson Island
- Job Type: Full Time
Assists in the maintenance and repair of boats according to work order specifications. Responsible for a full range of rough and finished repair work; inspects completed work for conformance with specifications, and complies with appropriate safety codes and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Repairs boats according to work order; trouble shoots and identifies solution.
- Examines boat to determine location and extent of defect.
- Confers with supervisor to determine repair needs and plans sequence of tasks.
- Search and order parts for projects as needed.
- Assists in moving, blocking, and hauling boats.
- Uses power saws, drills, and hand tools to cut out defective area; measures and records dimensions.
- Sets up and operates saws, joiners, planers, and shapers to fabricate repair parts.
- Positions and fits part; secures, using caulking, adhesive, or carpenter tools. Installs fittings.
- Cuts fiberglass and patches damaged or defective surfaces. Smooths and repairs surfaces with power sander.
- Paints, waxes, buffs, and finishes surfaces in preparation for inspection.
- Maintains appropriate service and repair records.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Two years’ experience as Yard Hand or Handyman; experience working with power tools such as buffers and grinders preferred.
- Knowledge of basic boat terminology.
Knowledge/Skills/ Abilities and Work Behaviors:
- General repair & maintenance to include; but not limited to, sanding, painting, patching, & waxing
- Knowledge of methods, materials, tools, and equipment used; applicable safety requirements; methods and practices in the maintenance of tools, machinery and equipment
- Able to take and carry out direction well; maintains cooperative working relations
- Open to constructive criticism in an effort to learn and further your value to the yard
- Strong interpersonal skills- able to communicate clearly to employees as well as customers
- Adheres to safety standards
- Maintain a professional appearance at work
- Work in an organized manner ensuring a neat and safe work space
- Maintain neat yard appearance inside and out
- Able to work on and around boats, in water and on land. Boats may be small and tend to tip; boats may be on jack stands on land, where the deck is 10′ or more from the ground surface. Good physical coordination and balance is a must.
- Able to climb and work on scaffolding for long periods of time.
Compensation, Benefits and Policies for all three open positions
Full-time hourly position pays competitively based on work experience, training, education, and skills. Boat Works full-time employees are eligible for medical, dental, vision, 401K, life insurance, vacation, and sick/personal leave. Must be able to pass background check and drug testing. EEO
SUBMIT RESUME OR LETTER OF INTEREST WITH WORK HISTORY, EMAIL, AND PHONE NUMBER TO: firstname.lastname@example.org